Porsche 911 & Boxster Double Din Radio Installation Parts Starting at
Brand: Car Audio Innovations
This kit works with all variations of the 986 and 996 platform including all trim, year, and powertrain combinations. (Prices start at $89.00 for our custom bezel)
This means that the kit will work for your car whether your car has Bose, Hi-Fi, or the base system. (PLEASE see note below regarding 03-05 generation 986/996 cars, which require additional parts and/or amplifier)
We also have kits for other Porsche models here.
This kit is perfect for adding a double DIN radio to a PCM (factory double DIN) car or converting a single DIN car to a double DIN. If your car is already PCM equipped you will not need the HVAC relocation trim ring.
Our kits are specific to certain radio brands. Be sure to choose the correct kit for the brand of radio you will be using. Our Pioneer/universal kit works with any radio that has standard ISO mounting holes on the sides of the radio. This kit comes with a special steel mounting cage and adjustable ISO brackets that bolt to the side of your radio. ****Some basic Kenwood double din radios do not come with a mounting sleeve-please confirm whether yours does before ordering these parts***** All of the Kenwood Excelon double din units we sell come with a mounting sleeve which is an essential part for installation in a 986/996.
If you have any questions about what parts to select for your vehicle, give us a call 1(800) 892-6430.
Parts of the Kit
- Choose the dash kit that matches the radio you will be using.
- Choose the wire harness that matches the year of your car.
- Choose the antenna adapter. This is required for all major aftermarket brands.
- Choose if you need removal keys to remove the original factory radio.
- Choose the pocket if you are converting a single DIN car to a double DIN.
- Choose the HVAC trim ring if you are converting a single DIN car to a double DIN.
- Choose the hidden GPS/sat antenna mount if you will be installing a GPS or satellite radio unit.
Converting a Single DIN Car to Double DIN.
Converting a single DIN car to a double DIN radio arrangement is simple. With the addition of our optional pocket and HVAC trim ring you can rearrange the components in the console so that the radio takes up the top two bays and the pocket and climate controls take up the bottom two bays. These vehicles all use the same wire harness for the climate controls (HVAC). No wire modifications or extensions are required to relocate the climate controls. The existing harness simply needs to be rerouted to the lower location. The fit and finish is second to none because we use genuine Porsche parts.
You may be interested in reading:
Installation Instructions for Double DIN Conversion
Note: Our manufacturer specific kits will not work with radios produced by other manufacturers. Our universal kit will work with all major brands of standard double DIN radios.
Included in this kit is:
Instructions, including how to disassemble/reassemble your vehicle, wire your vehicle, mount all parts, and some tips on performing additional audio upgrades to a Porsche 996.
- Toll free 1(800) and email technical support
- Double DIN radio/dash flush trim ring specific to 986/996's.
- (Optional) Integration harness for factory amplified Porsche Hi-Fi/Bose systems.
- (Optional) All parts required to perform a single DIN to double DIN conversion including genuine Porsche parts required to relocate AC controls to lower part of console & pocket.
- (Optional) Wire harness complete with optional true 12 Volt "key in" accessory circuit for cars '03 and up. '03 and up 911's do not come equipped with a factory accessory wire (required for all aftermarket radio's). Our kit accommodates this, and ships with a specialized harness addition just for these cars.
- (Optional) European to standard Motorola antenna adapter.
- (Optional) Factory Porsche radio removal keys.
- Pioneer/universal kit includes a metal mounting cage that is specific to those radios.
Note: Steel mounting cage shown in picture is not included with Kenwood and Alpine kits. Your new radio will come with one of these in the box.
If you own a 996 or 986 this is the kit you need.
Note: In '97 - '02 generation of vehicles the factory amplifier (if present) works with this kit and does not need to be replaced or bypassed. The harness that we supply with this kit allows full integration with both Bose and non-Bose equipped cars. DSP equipped vehicles with a single din radio are also compatible, though the DSP controller must remain connected (will not be operable) and can be stuffed in the dash behind the HVAC control plate.
Note: PCM (factory double DIN) equipped vehicles with DSP of all years require a replacement amplifier when upgrading the radio. The factory DSP amplifier is not compatible with aftermarket radios. You can identify a DSP equipped vehicle by looking at the amplifier in the trunk. It will have DSP written on it.
Note: 2003 and later Hi-Fi and Bose equipped models use a fiber optic audio system that will not interface directly aftermarket radios. A replacement amplifier is required. We have several replacement amplifier kits available.
Bose equipped cars come with factory subwoofers in one of two locations:
behind the rear seat (Bose systems on coupe models), or on the passengers side of the center console (cabriolet models). Both types in '99-'02 years are compatible with aftermarket radios only when using this installation kit. '03 through '05 vehicles must be rewired to an aftermarket amplifier.